Sunday 27 January 2013

Happy Australia Day!

Happy Australia Day!

Saturday, 26th of January was Australia Day, which celebrates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788. Since it is the middle of the summer here, Australia day is very similar to the 4th of July back in the States, and most people celebrate by having cookouts on the beach and drinking all day.

While I was unable to participate in the Australia day festivities as I was learning how to breathe underwater this weekend (details in a later post), Mere joined in on some stereotypical activities with some of our friends at Fairlight Beach:

I would throw another shrimp on the barbie, but there's no room!


The weekend prior, Mere and I thought we could get some quality time at the beach, but it turned out to be a bit crowded with the annual Manly Carnival:


The Manly Carnival is the largest surf and lifesaving club event in New South Wales and holds races and competitions between many surf and lifesaving clubs from around the country.



Unfortunately Mere and I forgot our speedos budgy smugglers, so we couldn't compete below. Also these 10-12 year olds are also signficantly more athletic than I have ever been in my life. Pretty intimidating:



This past week I was also able to surf (also known as 'athletic drowning') before work, which I can now cross off my bucket list. Now I just need to convince Mere to let me buy my own board.

Also, our local library has a pretty good sense of humor. Thought you all would get a kick out of this:

 

More blog posts to come in regular intervals, we promise.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment