Thursday 1 November 2012

Makin' it Hail

Day 27 (Wed Nov 1st)

Not much to report on as it has been a busy week at the office and I've been laying low after work for the most part.

One of the biggest difference here is the importance of coins. Back home, besides Quarters, all coins are pretty much useless, especially pennies, which cost more to make than they are actually worth.
Here they have $1 coins, much like the Sakagawea's (not even going to spell check it) back home, just slightly bigger than a nickel. Even better worse, they have $2 coins....smaller than a penny! I feel coins should go up in value with size, so subconsciously, I never use these $2 coins and at the end of the week I'm walking around with about $38 in change in my pocket. Instead of throwing dollar bills in the air and Making it Rain, I will chuck my change in the air and Make it Hail (credit to Daniel Tosh).




The paper money is very vibrant. Every time I go to the ATM, I feel like I just landed on Free Parking:







At work, I noticed the NBA started up, and after watching a couple of games of the local basketball league (NBL) on tv, it's safe to say I will sorely miss the NBA this year. The NBLwas pretty excruciating to watch as I took in the Sydney Kings face the Melbourne Tigers, and then the Melbourne Tigers against the Perth Wildcats. I will try to get to a Sydney Kings game, but won't put money on it. The league doesn't even have many American ringers in the league - about 1 per team, and the ones they do have I've never ever heard of, so I assume they didn't even play Division I NCAA in the States. This league is whiter than BYBA (the youth league in Belmont we grew up playing) and I expect a dude to walk on the court in jeans and a turtle neck under his jersey. The team Moose and I played for in the YMCA Chinatown league back home would be in playoff contention.Their slogan should be: NBL: As many Tattoos as the NBA, none of the talent. Where mediocre basketball happens.

There is one thing I do miss more than the NBA....but not for long:

(Cue the NBA on NBC music...John Tesh, hit it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZKX-cf_p90

Official Days until Mote's Gets Here Countdown: 4 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment