Friday 26 April 2013

ANZAC DAY

...Lest we forget

First, I just wanted to state how thankful and fortunate we were that none of our friends or family were hurt during the Marathon bombings and manhunt in Watertown. Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by these tragic events. It was insane following the events online from so far away, and I couldn't imagine how scary it was for everyone to live through back home. It sounds kind of weird, but we have not been more homesick than we were last week. Something about the need to be back home and around friends and family during a time of crisis. Boston Strong

Thursday April 25th was ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corp) day, which commemorates all Aussies and Kiwis who have served in died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations. While I didn't have to go into the office, I had to work remotely to cover the US, so we were unable to head to a pub to play 2 Up. 2 Up is a gambling game where one throws 2 or 3 coins in the air and people bet on whether it will land heads or tails. This game is illegal every day except on ANZAC day. So, while I missed out on 2 Up, I was able to hang out with 2 of my favorites over here, as we have been dog sitting for our friends for the past couple of days:



 The Dynamic Duo! Still up in the air on who sleeps more during the day

We've also been enjoying a nice Staycation the past couple of days as our friends have let us stay at their house while watching Dixie. They live in Balgowlah Heights, a suburb about 5-10 minutes from where we live in Manly Beach.

Balgowlah Heights is the purple shaded region on the left, Manly is directly across the Harbor just above the Map Key.

It's been nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the beach/tourists. Plus this view from the dog park is pretty sweet

We've also been able to practice our driving a little more, and as a plus, I think I've convinced Mere on getting an SUV at some point when we get back (though probably not a BMW)

Let's try to forget the fact that it took Mere 3 drives to figure out the MPH (miles per hour) was not the KPH (kilometers per hour) and that I was totally justified in freaking out in the passenger seat as she was speeding


POINT BREAK

A couple of weeks ago, the world's most famous surfer - American, Kelly Slater, dropped by Manly Beach as part of the fundraiser Surfers Against Suicide. (Not Surfers FOR Suicide as I had been mistakenly calling it. That would be a terrible charity). I had gone surfing in the morning and overheard Slater was flying in to surf, so I came back down to the beach to get some photos and watch him in action.

Slater making his way through the crowd to get into the water

Wish I could take credit for this photo - taken by a friend of a friend

That's probably the best action photo I was able to get...should have brought the bigger zoom


The next day, my mate Steve and I headed out to do our best Slater impressions

Steve is significantly better than me, so I left out pictures of him ripping it as I didn't want to get shown up. This is my blog so I can do what I want

I'm keeping my hopes up for a small role in Point Break 2 (yes, they are actually making this!). I will waive my No Swayze, No Ways-ie policy once this movie comes out. I will, however, keep it in place for Dirty Dancing 2: Havanna Nights

What's on Tap

Next week I hope to get my RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) license in time for volunteering at the Great Australian Beer Spectapular at the end of May in Melbourne. I'm going with a buddy from work and Mere surprisingly turned down the opportunity to spend 3 days beer-geeking it out - http://gabsfestival.com.au/ 

Mere and I booked a trip for the 2nd weekend in May up to Cairns in Queensland to Scuba-dive the outer Great Barrier Reef, so we hope to get some sweet pictures from that.

Here's to a chill rest of the weekend:



No comments:

Post a Comment