Monday 8 October 2012

The flight wasn't that bad...ok, so it was

G'day Mates!

As most of you know, I moved to Sydney for work for at least a year, and Meredith will be joining me in 1 month. In the meantime, I am left fending for myself in a new land and thought I would keep y'all updated.

Day 1 (Sat Oct 6th)
I flew out of Boston Thurs Oct 4th to LA, and jumped on a plane to Sydney that got me in 6am Saturday morning. I'd like to give a shout-out to the man who sat next to me on the BOS-LAX leg with the worst body odor I've smelled probably ever. Glad we got to share those 6 hours together mere inches from one another. And an even bigger shout-out to the short fat Chinese man sitting next to me on the LAX-Sydney flight, who snored the ENTIRE flight. So, after 20 hrs of flying, and 6 movies, I finally landed in Sydney.

My corporate apartment is downtown in City Centre, just south of Sydney Harbor. It is a 10 minute walk to the harbor and my office. Reminds me of living in the Financial District in Boston - pretty quiet after work and on weekends. Especially since most stores/banks/everything are only open from about 9/10-5 except on Thursdays, when they are open until 9 or 10pm. And since nothing was open when I got in, I spent most of the morning in front of the Apple Store using their free wifi so I could communicate since I had no internet/phone. (Insert rant about how tech-reliant we are today).


Below are pictures of the apartment.



 The best part about moving to Sydney was that we would be leaving right before the Boston winter and into the Australian Summer. Well, I must have brought the sh*tty weather with me then, b/c it rained most of the day. I met up w/ my co-worker, grabbed some food and beers and walked around the harbor/Circular Quay area before crashing pretty hard at 6pm.

Below is a picture of the opera house on my 1st day:





I'll post about Day 2 later tonight or tomorrow

Cheers!

-Mark



No comments:

Post a Comment