Saturday 27 October 2012

Young Henry's and Newtown

3 Weeks in (Sat Oct 27th)

I promise will try to keep this the last beer related blog entry for a while.

I closed out Sydney Craft Beer week with a couple of mates from work Friday night by heading over to Surry Hills to the Young Henry's tap takeover at the Royal Albert Hotel (bar).

Young Henry's is a small brewery that opened up about 6 months ago and is getting a lot of press for their good beer. Last night they brought 10 kegs (5 of which are beers that they are retiring and brought the last kegs of), and I was lucky enough to try most of their beers and met some of the guys that work over there. Tap list below:

My favorites were the Newtown Brown, the Yippie IA, and the Night Nurse (which they call a white stout, but turns out to be a wordplay on the definition of 'stout' and is an IPA)

Afterwards we tried to go to Bar Reggios (the restaurant I went to with colleagues the first weekend I was here) but it was packed, so we went to Trovata, a Mediterranean place that did wood-fire pizzas.

On Saturday, I decided to check out Young Henry's brewery which is located in Newtown, a suburb of Sydney's inner west. Newtown is known as a very diverse, progressive, and bohemian suburb with heaps of ethnic restaurants and cafes as well as every store you can think of along King St - the main road which spans about 4-5km.


Newtown has some great street art as well, most famous is the Martin Luther King mural on King St. The Aboriginal flag is painted as the base of the mural but is hard to see in the below picture I took:

The below is a mural of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo (tv show), some peasant women, and of course...Mr. Spock






Young Henry's is located just off King St, so I hopped in to fill up a growler and chat with some of the guys from the night before...as well as some free samples.





In the photo below you can see my beer-pong game with one of the workers.
I won, so feel free to take this moment to start chanting 'USA, USA!'

 And we're back. I'm excited to see what this brewery does during the time that I am here. Good beers, great guys.

The blog will probably get a little more 'cultured' and less beer-themed once Mere gets here.

Official Countdown til Mote's gets here......1 week!!!!!!!! (at least she departs in 1 week, arrives in about 9 days)




No comments:

Post a Comment